Day after dish runs away with spoon, J. Alan Nelson (September 2026)
Day after dish runs away with spoon
We wake up at Les Deux Magots in
Paris.
We take selfies for the china cabinet back home.
Then, as a nod to fashion, we lay nude
on the best place setting at Café de Flore.
We say we hate silverware puns.
The worst, you say.
Yeah, I say. Like what’s better
than good silverware.
Good silver here, you say.
I stare. You’re sharp as a knife I say.
A cut above the rest, you say.
Some say I’m cleaver.
You got a point, I say.
Cutting edge, you say. You are
the fork in the road.
I grit my teeth, smile.
You pull out a knife.
Do you want a slice of the action?
I hesitate. Then, ok I say.
Keep ladling it out.
You pick up a butter spreader.
Do you want to, you ask.
I pick up a fork. You smile.
Oh yes, you say. Oh yes.
We take selfies for the china cabinet back home.
Then, as a nod to fashion, we lay nude
on the best place setting at Café de Flore.
We say we hate silverware puns.
The worst, you say.
Yeah, I say. Like what’s better
than good silverware.
Good silver here, you say.
I stare. You’re sharp as a knife I say.
A cut above the rest, you say.
Some say I’m cleaver.
You got a point, I say.
Cutting edge, you say. You are
the fork in the road.
I grit my teeth, smile.
You pull out a knife.
Do you want a slice of the action?
I hesitate. Then, ok I say.
Keep ladling it out.
You pick up a butter spreader.
Do you want to, you ask.
I pick up a fork. You smile.
Oh yes, you say. Oh yes.
Comments
Post a Comment