The Last Human Boy on Earth, Daniel Reynolds (June 2026)

 

The Last Human Boy on Earth

The girls here swipe left on the Milky Way.
They want a galaxy delivered, curated,
held at the distance of a screen
held at the distance of a face.
 
I want to walk you home the long way:
past the Sunoco, past the middle school,
past the parking lot where nothing
ever happened except in my imagination.
 
I am the last one standing in this.
The last to feel the telling weather
of a specific girl in a specific coat
turning her face in the cold.
 
The others evolved past the ache.
They found a cleaner interface,
a version of desire that doesn’t
leave one out here soaked and obvious.
 
Your window is the third one from the left.
I am not a stalker, only a man
made of the wrong century’s materials:
brittle, serious, without irony.
 
Keats died of this, more or less—
the exquisite susceptibility,
the inability to hold beauty
at the recommended distance.
 
Your hair does something in the wind.
No one has built the machine
that notices the specific thing it does,
wants it, loses sleep.
 
I lose sleep. I stand in the fact of you,
understand that I am the punchline,
the boy who meant it, the one
the century is done with.
 
Every season arrives now unremarked.
The town will be eaten by a larger town,
every child born already knowing
the irony that keeps them safe from this.


Comments

  1. I love the opening line, " The girls here swipe left on the Milky Way." Not only did it grab me but I like how the emotion carries and moves thru the poem

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment