Poems from the 12-Hour Sonnet Contest: Low-rise Uprising, Elizabeth Johnson

 I'm posting a few of the entries from the recent 12-Hour Sonnet Contest. These aren't runners up, or honourable mentions, or whatever. They're just poems I liked and wanted to share. If I'm not posting your poem, it doesn't mean I didn't like it! It doesn't even mean I think the ones I am posting are better than yours! Honest.

Anyway, this poem by Elizabeth Johnson struck my fancy because it's fun. I think I may have a fun deficiency order, so fun poems are among my faves. 

Elizabeth M. Johnson is a lawyer, poet, and transplanted Chicagoan living in Detroit.  She is the granddaughter of immigrants.

Low-rise Uprising

Attention, Pantsmakers! who have lately

displayed an overwhelming fondness for

low-waisted pants - I simply cannot be

the only one who doesn't want to bare

ass crack whenever I sit down. And, too,

Attention, Those Who Get The Flash! – it’s not

my fault, but I apologize to you

since I suppose (but do not know) you’ve got

much better things to view. To say nothing

of how the waistband hits across my hips,

my widest part; it’s so unflattering!

Makers of pants! Recant your judgment lapse,

for heaven’s sake! I’m nobody’s plumber.

Who thought these up? And what could be dumber?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12-hour Sonnet Contest!

Winning Poem: 12-Hour Sonnet Contest

12-Hour Couplets Contest